The Eighth Day

We are living in this eighth day eternal world. We are always in the eighth day.


When we go to the Liturgy we are in eternity (and) heaven is on earth.


We’re already now with the Resurrected One. His eternity is present among us. His eternal life has broken into our world of time and is present and active among us.


--Dr Arthur Just, commenting on Luke 19, April 7, 2010 on Issues Etc

Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Issues Etc Two year anniversary

Sharing some of my favorite Issues Etc segments since their return.

How do you "get right with God"? If I think I have to do something for Him, it is like looking at a crucifix and saying, "That wasn't enough for me, Jesus." Thursday, January 7, 2010 (Pastor's Roundtable on Justification)--this is a heavy theological segment but it explains in detail how God has reconciled us to Himself.

Have you ever met a Christian who thinks she's doing well and doesn't struggle with sin anymore? Has someone looked down on you for needing forgiveness or wanting to come to the Lord's Supper?
In this segment Pastor Rottmann talks about our spiritual weakness.
Our own strength is worthless against sin. People who think they are being strong, resisting sin and doing good on their own, are probably puffed up with pride. God fills us when we are empty. 2 Corinthians 12:9--"My grace is sufficient for you.My power is made perfect in weakness." Jim Barton, my pastor in college taught about this verse often. Many college students feel weaker than they ever have--they struggle with grades or their major; they dealing with their own health problems; they hear of sickness or death in their families who are far away. He introduced us through Paul to life under the cross.


Change in the Church

I like change. I like to go new places and try new things. I rarely cook the same meal twice. I adopt new technology. I even embrace new policies at work when everyone else is grumbling. But I have no use for a god that changes. I want a Rock, not shifting sand.

People who want to retain the historic Liturgy (aka Mass or Divine Service) are accused of fearing change. I do like to have variety in worship, but not "change."

changing from
Gospel-centered worship (what Jesus has done for me)
to either
Law-centered worship (telling me what God wants me to do as someone He created--but if I'm honest I know I can't)
or
Seeker-centered worship (acknowledging and praising a Creator but not delivering the forgiveness, life, and salvation that are found in Christ alone).